How to deal with a serious accident
Reporting a serious accident
Contact the emergency services - if appropriate
- Explain the nature of the incident and ask for assistance.
Arrange First Aid
- Provide or arrange first aid for the injured person.
- Cordon off the area as best you can.
Report the incident
- Notify Central Postal Control (CPC) immediately
- Notify your She Business Partner and senior operational managers.
- CPC will advise if the incident needs to be dealt with under the Serious and Fatal Process.
Senior Investigating Officer (SIO) Investigation
- An SIO will be appointed to take charge of the investigation. This replaces the need for a local investigation.
- All emails and correspondence should be on the authority of the SIO.
* This process still applies if the employee or third-party dies, or their condition seriously deteriorates some-time after the accident.
Serious and Fatal Incidents
- Fatalities or suicides occurring whilst the RMG employee in on duty but excluding natural causes
- Work-related incidents resulting in a fatality that involve a third party including contractors, visitors, members of the public etc.
- Incidents involving serious life-threatening or life-changing injuries
- Incidents that result in or have the potential to result in serious injury to a contractor, RMG employee of third-party visitor as a result of work performed by a contractor on behalf of RMG
- All incident classified under RIDDOR as a dangerous occurrence.
If in doubt at any stage always call Central Postal Control (CPC)
Central Postal Control deals with issues on a regular basis and will be able to talk you through how to deal with any situation.