0345 266 1060

How to deal with a major public incident

The instructions below explain how to respond if you become aware of an incident such as a civil disturbance, rioting, or if there is confusion as to what has happened.

Go in
  • Advise Doorkeepers / Security to bring any of our people in the immediate vicinity of our building indoors, then lock the doors.
  • Ensure Security enforce rigorous ID checks on anyone attempting to enter the building.
  • Report your concerns to the Police using 999 – don’t assume someone else already has.
  • Report your concerns to Central Postal Control (CPC).
Stay in

Consider switching off air conditioning and ventilation systems. If there are fires in the vicinity smoke, or CS gas in the case of riots, could be drawn into the building.

Use runners or the tannoy system if available to advise people to:

  • Close all doors and windows, then to
  • Stay away from the windows in case of an explosion.
Tune in

Use any available TVs, radios or smartphones to listen for advice from the emergency services.

Note: Only call CPC if you are reporting a related specific incident. Any information CPC has will be conveyed via an Info Flash.

Keep your people informed

Use runners between floors or the tannoy system if available to keep people informed on a regular basis. If there is no further information tell them so.

Conduct a formal review

Once the incident is over the PiC must:

  • conduct a formal review, seek to identify improvement opportunities

If in doubt at any stage always call Central Postal Control (CPC)

Central Postal Control deals with issues on a regular basis and will be able to talk you through how to deal with any situation.