How to deal with a fuel spill
The instructions below explain how to deal with a fuel spill.
Contain the spillage
- Contain the spillage using spill granules.
- Cordon off the area.
Note: Dealing with fuel spills forms part of the Fuel Management Manual which can be accessed via the Intranet
- All spillages must be reported to the Property & Facilities Solutions Helpdesk on 0844 800 9191
- Notify Fleet & Maintenance Services – Fuel Supply Team on 5888 7765 or
01246 547765 (Note available Mon to Fri 9am to 5pm)
- Fuel spills are classed as ‘near misses’ and must also be reported via ERICA
- Do not engage with Environment Agency unless they have initially contacted you.
- You only need to inform CPC if there is any operational impact following the incident.
Order more spill granules and conduct a formal review
- order more spill granules
- conduct a formal review, seek to identify improvement opportunities
If in doubt at any stage always call Central Postal Control (CPC)
Central Postal Control deals with issues on a regular basis and will be able to talk you through how to deal with any situation.