How to deal with a fuel, Adblue or chemical spill

All spillages should be reported to the National Service Centre Tel: 0333 0050312 and action taken to mitigate any safety and environmental risks. The instructions below explain how to deal with a fuel spill.

Immediate response

Contain the spillage
  • Stop further spillage if safe to do so (i.e. shut the valve).
  • Arrange first aid for anyone exposed to the spill.

  • Prevent spillage entering gullies, drains and vulnerable areas (i.e. grassland, ditches, rivers etc.) using spill kits and drain covers.
  • Cordon off the spillage area.

If the operation is impacted

Make arrangements for contingency arrangements especially for priority products & contracts.

Ensure you notify CPC if there is an operational impact.

Document and report the spill

Report incident

Notify the P&FS – National Service Centre and tell them:

  • What has happened?
  • What has been done to manage the spill?
  • The estimated volume of oil, fuel, AdBlue, chemical spilt (or area covered by spill).
  • Location of spillage and any affected drains using a site plan.
  • Be very clear about whether or not the spillage has entered a drain.
  • Contact details for an available person at site to deal with further queries/action
  • Report the spill via ERICA
  • Any reporting to external parties will be dealt with centrally

Where an Enforcing Authority* attends site:

  • Notify P&FS – National Service Centre
  • Make the Unit Manager/PIC aware
  • Politely request identification and reason for the visit.
  • Sign in and induct the Inspector to the site.
  • For more details see SHEI 10.3 – Engaging with Enforcement Authorities.

* Typical authorities may include: Health and Safety Executive (or HSENI), Police, Local Authority Environmental Health Officer, Environmental Agency (or NIEA) Natural Resources Wales (NRW), Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA).

Arrange for clean up and disposal

Follow-up actions


  • Should anyone else in the business be notified? For Example:
    • Fuel/AdBlue/Oil loss is from bulk storage- contact Fleet and Maintenance Services-
    • Fuel Supply Team Operational Control where spill at PFW sites
    • CPC – where there is an operational impact.
    • Ensure prompt removal of used clean-up materials – report delays to P&FS Helpdesk
    • Scan and send waste paperwork (i.e. consignment note) to
    • Order more spill kits
    • Co-operate throughout any formal incident review.

If in doubt at any stage always call Central Postal Control (CPC)

Central Postal Control deals with issues on a regular basis and will be able to talk you through how to deal with any situation.