ON SITE RESPONSE | INCIDENT SPECIFIC GUIDANCE
How to deal with power loss
The instructions below explain how to deal with loss of power, ie. lights go out, or machinery stops.
Contact the Property & Facilities Solutions Helpdesk and electricity supplier
- Contact the Property & Facilities Solutions Helpdesk with the details of the incident and your contact number. Report as ‘priority zero’. If you know why power has been lost, explain reason.
- Contact the electricity supplier to ascertain when power supply will be restored.
- Your unit plan in section 2.1 of this handbook should contain the contact details.
- Let Property & Facilities Solutions Helpdesk know what you discover.
If you have a generator and it started successfully:
Consider the fuel supply
Is the fuel likely to last until power is restored? If not inform the Property & Facilities Solutions Helpdesk.
If you don’t have a generator or it didn’t start successfully:
Contact the Property & Facilities Solutions Helpdesk and Central Postal Control (CPC) and Ops Control (if you work for PFW)
Contact the above and advise them of the situation.
Manage the situation
Keep the situation under review and agree with CPC and Ops Control (if you work for PFW) whether the contingency plan should be deployed.
Conduct a formal review
Once the incident is over the PiC must:
- conduct a formal review, seek to identify improvement opportunities
If in doubt at any stage always call Central Postal Control (CPC)
Central Postal Control deals with issues on a regular basis and will be able to talk you through how to deal with any situation.
0345 266 1060